Joy is such a desired virtue and yet so often we settle for poor substitutes or temporary glimpses of happiness. Where is joy to be found and what is required of us? Let’s take a walk with the saints and soon-to-be saints today..
The following are my top 15 quotes (in no particular order) on joy.
- Joy does not simply happen to us-we have to choose joy and keep choosing it everyday. Henri J. M.Nouwen
- ” Let us aim for joy, rather than respectability. Let us make fools of ourselves from time to time, and thus see ourselves, for a moment, as the all-wise God sees us.” — St. Philip Neri
- Peace begins with a smile—smile five times a day at someone you don’t really want to smile at all—do it for peace. So let us radiate peace…and extinguish in the world and in the hearts of all men all hatred and love for power. — Blessed Mother Teresa
- “And here the first word that I wish to say to you: joy! Do not be men and women of sadness: a Christian can never be sad! Never give way to discouragement! Ours is not a joy born of having many possessions, but of having encountered a Person: Jesus, in our midst.”― Pope Francis, The Church of Mercy
- Be humble, be simple-bring joy to others.― St. Madeline Sophie Barat
- Joy is very infectious; therefore, be always full of joy..it is a net of love by which you can catch souls.. ― Blessed Mother Teresa
- The secret to happiness is to live moment by moment and to thank God for all that he in his goodness sends to us day after day. ― Saint Gianna Beretta Molla
- Jesus is happy to come with us, as truth is happy to be spoken, as life to be lived, as light to be lit, as love is to be loved, as joy to be given, as peace to be spread.
–Saint Francis of Assisi
- “People are made for happiness. Rightly, then, you thirst for happiness. Christ has the answerto this desire of yours. But he asks you to trust him. Pope John Paul II (World Youth Day 2002)
- “Joy is the most infallible sign of
the presence of God.”
– Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- How I long to find the right words to stir up enthusiasm for a new chapter of evangelization full of fervor, joy, generosity, courage, boundless love and attraction! Yet I realize that no words of encouragement will be enough unless the fire of the Holy Spirit burns in our hearts. —Pope Francis, Joy of the Gospel (261).
- Once, when I was praying, Jesus pervaded all my soul, darkness melted away, and I heard these words within me: You are My joy; you are My heart’s delight. From that moment I felt the Most Holy Trinity in my heart; that is to say, within myself. I felt that I was inundated with Divine light. Since then, my soul has been in intimate communion with God, like a child with its beloved Father. Saint Faustina
- “Laugh and grow strong” — St. Ignatius of Loyola
- “You will know your vocation by the joy that it brings you. You will know. You will know when it’s right.”
― Dorothy Day
- “From silly devotions and sour-faced saints, good Lord, deliver us”-Saint Teresa of Avila